BrightStars, an organization that provides quality rating and improvement systems for Rhode Island's childcare and early learning programs, passed on this advice from behavioral consultant Haven Miles:
Instead of talking about details with very young children, use simple language and simple ideas.
Some more resources:
- A really terrible thing happened.
- Sometimes adults do terrible things.
- Terrible things almost never happen.
- We will be sure that you are safe.
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) – Coping with a School Shooting
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- Association of Children's Museums