Friday, February 27, 2015

Let It Snow!

Peer into the whimsical winter wonderland of Let It Snow!, the newest display featuring the Museum’s collection of historic Betty Huestis marionettes.  Creator Sam Polon, school-age learning programs developer, shared her process and inspiration behind her playful puppet display:

"I was inspired by nature and the natural world that surrounds us all.  Remembering the joy and delight of outdoor sports and children playing, I wanted to bring the outside in.  I started my selection with the boy and girl puppets and the idea of two people being lost in their own fantastical world.
I love knitting and crocheting so I knew right from the beginning that I wanted to add textile arts to this display.  Each snowflake was hand-crocheted and the trees, snow, ice and background were all made out of recycled materials.  Even the small banks of snow were created from painted bundles of bird litter. 
This display allows you to step out of your everyday life and enter a world of fantasy and pretend.  I wanted to show people that the outdoors is a great space to play and you don't even need any tools or modern technology to do it.  Just have fun!"

Let it Snow! is on display for the next several months, so join in this wintery adventure upon your next visit.  No hats or mittens required!

No comments: